YouthBuild Academic Instructor
SUMMARY: Under supervision of the YouthBuild Program Manager, the YouthBuild Academic Instructor will perform Academic instruction of young adults (17-24 years old) in mathematics, science, social studies, reading, and writing in preparation for taking the High School Equivalency Test (HiSET) and post-secondary education.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Understand and apply principles, methods, procedures, and strategies utilized in the development of a comprehensive program designed to maintain student interest,
- Planning and implementing lesson appropriate field trips, and choosing books, supplies, and material to be used in the classroom setting.
- Integration of workforce development/preparedness and specific vocational material (construction and healthcare) material into academic lessons.
- Development and implementation of remote learning, virtual lessons, and virtual policies and procedures during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Development of specific academic lessons and plans for individual students to ensure academic success.
- Transportation of students to/from: HiSET testing facilities, field trips, community engagement and community service events, vocational training, and YouthBuild specific program events.
- Participation with students in vocational trainings, community service, and other in-program events such as graduations, holiday parties, etc.
- Developing strong relationships with students to assist in both academic and personal issues that arose in their lives.
- Maintaining a cohesive program environment to ensure continued and enthusiastic participation of students
- Attendance participation in academic, workforce development and YouthBuild specific trainings and conferences, in-person and virtually.
- Participation in employee meetings to discuss student progress, develop, implement, and amend program policies, and plan events such as community service opportunities, program events, etc.
Proficient in a wide range of computer systems and programs including Microsoft word, excel, and PowerPoint; as well as google and Mac equivalents. Experience with virtual conferencing (both Zoom and Google meets)